Making the Most of A Career Fair
• Dress for Success
Employers will notice your appearance. You want to make a positive first impression.
• Have Multiple Copies of Your Resume
Copies should be on high quality résumé paper.
• Questions to Ask the Employer
Questions show you are interested. Use some of the following:
• What qualities do you look for when hiring?
• Can you describe a typical work day for someone in _________ at your company?
• What do you like most about working for your company?
• Do Not Ask These Questions
Stay away from questions which show you are only interested in how the company can benefit you.
Examples include asking about company benefits, salary, and perks.
• Practice Your Approach
• Have a firm handshake, look people in the eyes, and introduce yourself
• State your purpose in attending the fair (part-time job while completing school or full-time position after graduation)
• Give a brief explanation of your skills, education or background including any major accomplishments.
• Expect Questions from the Employers
Have answers for these types of questions:
• Can you tell me a little about yourself?
• Tell me about your education or skills?
• Why are you attending Louisiana Delta Community College?
• What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
• After the Career Fair
Follow-up with a personal thank you note to the recruiters you spoke with.
Repeat your qualifications and interest in working for the organization.