CIP Code - 480508
The mission of the Technical Diploma in Welding is to prepare individuals for employment in the field of Welding. The program is designed to provide students with differing welding processes required in the welding industry.
The Technical Diploma in Welding prepares individuals for employment in the field of welding. Instruction is provided in various processes and techniques of welding including oxyfuel cutting, carbon arc cutting, shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, pipe-welding, plasma arc cutting, blueprint reading, weld symbols, and joints. After completion of this program, the student will have covered the skills designated by the AWS (American Welding Society) and will be prepared to take the AWS Entry Level Welder test.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Welding program will be able to:
- Identify and demonstrate appropriate safety tools, equipment, and procedures for SMAW process.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret welding drawings; an understanding of basic metallurgy, metal identification, and heat treatment of metals.
- Identify the codes, standards, and agencies regulating the welding industry, weld quality standards, concepts in proper visual and destructive testing methods, and proper base metal preparation and joint fit-up.
- Demonstrate the safety, setup, and operations of Oxyfuel Cutting, proper handling of equipment, and handling of cylinders.
- Demonstrate the safety, setup, and operations of Air Carbon Arc Cutting and Gouging (CAC-A), and Plasma Arc Cutting (PAC).
- Demonstrate the following methods of welding with proficiency: shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, and pipe welding.
- Perform AWS code quality welds using the following methods: shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, and pipe welding.