Making the Most of A Career Fair
Dress for Success
- Employers will notice your appearance. You want to make a positive first impression.
Have Multiple Copies of Your Resume
- Copies should be on high quality résumé paper.
Questions to Ask the Employer
- Questions show you are interested. Use some of the following:
- What qualities do you look for when hiring?
- Can you describe a typical work day for someone in _________ at your company
- What do you like most about working for your company?
Do Not Ask These Questions
- Stay away from questions which show you are only interested in how the company can benefit you.
- Examples include asking about company benefits, salary, and perks.
Practice Your Approach
- Have a firm handshake, look people in the eyes, and introduce yourself
- State your purpose in attending the fair (part-time job while completing school or full-time position after graduation)
- Give a brief explanation of your skills, education or background including any major accomplishments.
Expect Questions from the Employers
- Have answers for these types of questions:
- Can you tell me a little about yourself?
- Tell me about your education or skills?
- Why are you attending Louisiana Delta Community College?
- What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
After the Career Fair
- Follow-up with a personal thank you note to the recruiters you spoke with.
- Repeat your qualifications and interest in working for the organization.