CIP CODE- 510805
The mission of the Certificate of Technical Studies in Pharmacy Technician is to provide the educational and clinical tools necessary to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician allowing the graduate to obtain gainful employment in pharmacies and/or health care facilities and to contribute to the overall economic development and workforce needs of the state.
The Certificate of Technical Studies in Pharmacy Technician prepares individuals for a securing a job in a variety of settings in the health care field. Graduates may find employment in retail pharmacies, hospitals, specialty pharmacies including long term care pharmacies, compounding pharmacies and mail order pharmacies. The program consists of classroom/lab instruction and supervised/preceptor clinical activities. Prior to clinical, the student must present a current CPR card for Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers. Upon successful completion of this competency-based program, students may be eligible to take a national certification exam and apply for registration as a pharmacy technician with the Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy.
Accrediditaiton and Membership
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Patient Care Technician program will be able to:
- Describe the Healthcare System and Safety Measures that must be taken within this system.
- Calculate and measure used commonly in the practice of pharmacy
- Display a professional attitude, proper communication skills and the ability to problem solve
- Demonstrate knowledge of State and Federal laws as they pertain to the practice of pharmacy
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret and process a medication order in both the outpatient and inpatient settings
- Demonstrate familiarity and competency with at least the top 100 drugs in use today and understand the meaning of brand name, generic name, appearance, manufacturer, dosage forms, common dosage, route of administration(s), and the importance of the NDC (national drug code) number
- Demonstrate competency when compounding both sterile and non-sterile medications (USP 797/800 and USP 795)
Student Achievement Data
- 100% passing rate
- 100% employment placement rate
- St. Francis
- Ochsner LSU Health Monroe
- Northeast Louisiana Medical Center
- Parkway Pharmacy
- Brookshire’s Pharmacy
- Super One Pharmacy
- Reliant Healthcare Pharmacy
Prospects for Employment
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to growth 4 percent from 2020 to 2030. Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for pharmacy technicians was $35,100 in May 2020. Average pay for pharmacy technicians in Louisiana was $33,890- $35,570.
- Complete the online application. All prerequiste courses must be complete in order to apply.
Our program is powered by PioneerRx Pharmacy Software, the most chosen software of independent pharmacies. Students will have hands-on learning opportunities for operating a successful pharmacy system in a community setting. Discover how PioneerRx stacks up against the competition at Pharmacy Software Reviews.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.