Medical Coding Specialist
CIP Code - 510707
The mission of the Certificate of Technical Studies in Medical Coding Specialist is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide health information management services care to patients in a variety of healthcare settings.
The Medical Coding Specialist Program (MCS) at LDCC consists of a one-semester Technical Competency Area (TCA) and a one year Certificate of Technical Studies (CTS.) These certificates will prepare individuals for diagnostic and procedural coding positions in hospitals, physician offices and clinics, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, home care agencies, managed care organizations, and outpatient surgical hospitals. Both certificate programs consist of classroom instruction on campus and clinical instruction in clinic and hospital settings in the surrounding area.In this program, there are a variety exit points that you may choose to take.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Medical Coding Specialist program will be able to:
- Demonstrate ability to think critically, manage time, and communicate in oral and written formats.
- Identify anatomy and physiology of the human body and disease processes with related pharmacology.
- Demonstrate the ability to review and analyze health records to identify relevant diagnosis and procedures for distinct patient encounters.
- Demonstrate the ability to translate diagnostic and procedural terminology used by physicians and healthcare professionals into coded form (ICD-10-CM/ICS-10/PCS and CPT) using coding rules and guidelines.
- Demonstrate ability to use a computer and have proficiency in the use of the internet, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrate ability to work as a team member in a professional manner.
- Business & Technology
- Business Office Administration
- Computer Science
- Full Stack Cloud Developer
- Information Technology
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer General Business
- Associate of General Studies Business Concentration
- Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer Computer Science
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.